The Austrian Institute for Applied Telecommunications (OIAT) is an independent NGO supporting businesses, consumers, NGOs and public bodies in safer and efficient use of information and communication (ICT).
In its activities, OIAT focuses on fields like safer internet and mobile phone use, e-commerce, e-learning, e-inclusion, as well as research and development.
The core competencies of the OIAT include:
- realisation of R&D projects on the field of applied ICT
- development, implementation and certification of quality standards in e- and m-commerce
- online mediation and assistance regarding e-commerce and related issues
- networking with stakeholders from industry, public administration, civil society and consumer rights with the aim of building joint initiatives on safe and efficient use of ICT
- e-learning: planning and integrated implementation of e-learning projects – from development of strategies, didactical trainings to the actual implementation and evaluation of ICT use
- promoting media competence and e-skills for a safe and responsible use of digital media
- dissemination of research and project results through professional PR work
OIAT was founded in 1997 as an independent and not-for-profit organisation. Its activities are overseen by an academic Advisory Board.
OIAT is a member of the Austrian Cooperative Research (ACR).
OIAT is an equal opportunities employer. This is ensured also through training and coaching in cooperation with the initiative FEMtech Forschungsunternehmen.
OIAT fields of activity
Safer use of the internet and the mobile phone
Media competence is the key to a safe and responsible use of digital media. OIAT therefore develops awareness raising and information campaigns and initiatives for more online safety (Saferinternet.at).
Enhancing trust in e-commerce
Quality, safety and trust are important pre-conditions for a broad internet use in general, as well as for online shopping – for the benefit of both sides - consumers and businesses.
OIAT works for more quality, safety and trust in e-commerce since it was founded. Quality standards for online shops and trust marks (the Austrian E-Commerce Trust Mark) are developed in cooperation with the industry and consumer protection organisations. Also in cooperation with consumer protection organisations, OIAT established the first online information and mediation centre for consumer issues in online shopping (Internet Ombudsmann) in Europe.
User oriented and efficient e-learning projects
OIAT supports teachers in planning and realisation of e-learning projects. The benefit for teachers and educational added value are always the top priority of OIAT. For us, e-learning is an important factor for making learning processes more efficient and flexible.
E-inclusion: Participation in the digital world
OIAT makes studies on e-inclusion and develops projects and initiatives to give all Austrians the possibility to go online.
Tailor-made and applied research, development and innovation projects
OIAT supports you in planning and implementation of applied and customised research and development of projects in the field of ICT.